...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

my patron

pa·tron (pā'trən)
n.

1. One that supports, protects, or champions someone or something, such as an institution, event, or cause; a sponsor or benefactor: a patron of the arts.
Over the past few weeks my hubby has spoiled me with many artsy presents. He knows how much I want to pursue painting. He loves to provide me with the tools I need to make my little dreams come true, even when we can't really afford it. Any man who sacrifices and works hard at a job that doesn't excite him just so he can take care of his family is a man of great value to his family, friends, and community. It's easy to spoil him right back!

The following 2 books have exceeded my expectations as far as any descriptions I found online in regards to their contents. "watercolour in 10 steps" and "acrylics in 10 steps". 10 steps?! No, it's 10 chapters, each one containing many steps, some as many as 36. It's brilliant! These are books that you approach like an art class and apparently some art instructors are using them exactly for this purpose. I look forward to going through each book slowly and consistently.




Here are two other new favourite books of mine. "The Fundamentals of Drawing Landscapes: A Practical and Inspirational Course", and "Watercolour: All the techniques and inspiration you need to get into painting". I was especially thrilled to find the watercolour one because it's a pretty thorough reference book. It covers trees, water, landscapes, seascapes, figures, buildings and flowers.




Student grade paints dominate my current palette, but they'll be great to practice with. All that's stopping me now is being able to dedicate time to being a student. Between house projects, responsibilities, and the transition of the kids being off school for the summer, it's a challenge.



Even so...
"I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people." ~ Vincent Van Gogh

No comments: