...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Friday, August 22, 2008

hindsight

Earlier today I was pondering a dream from last night. It was nighttime and I was going down a beautiful lush country road. The funny thing is I was effortlessly floating down the road, at about the speed of a car. I faced what I was traveling away from and was amazed at the clarity I had. In reality I need glasses to see distance, but in this dream I could see with crystal clear vision. It was dark, but everything was illuminated. I was so amazed at my ability to see so far and so clearly that I thought to myself in the dream "wow, I've never had a dream where I could see this clearly".

I turned to face the road ahead of me and it was foggy. I could see the silhouettes of the trees, but they were shrouded in fog. Isn't that often the situation we find ourselves in? It's the path of faith.

Hindsight is 20/20, or actually 40/20:
"Hindsight is closer to 40/20, which is exceptional vision. This means that from 40 feet away, you see what the rest of us can only see from 20 feet away. Does that make sense? 40/20 hindsight vision indicates that when you step back from a life experience, your perception is amazingly sharper and loaded with much more detail so you can learn the life lesson." ~ Fran Briggs
I'm thankful for hindsight, and for feeling affirmed. I think God often lets you work through stuff, analyze and sort through crap, get angry, harbour hatred, face yourself, swear a lot, get bitter, see the lies and manipulation, and uncover the truth. Then after a time, when you get tired of the hating, he helps you to let that go if you want him to. Maybe it's then that he confirms to you that yes you see things for what they were. By then, you figure "I thought so" but you're too thankful for being out from under it feeling free and healthy that the temptation to get bitter again is too weak to reclaim its grip on you.
“March on. Do not tarry. To go forward is to move toward perfection. March on, and fear not the thorns, or the sharp stones on life's path.” ~ Kahlil Gibran

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I quote you on this?!? Amazing. You captured the raw intensity of something I'm facing personally. Wow.

Heidi said...

Seeing as we both seem to be enduring something of a similar trial, and how you've spoken for me many times, of course you can quote me!!