...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

our yes means yes, no but really!

Isn't it amusing and yet baffling when people are skeptical when you say "I'm doing great, we're doing great", after they ask how you're doing? "Are you really?", they ask. Then Jon is asked the same question by the same person and again it's "Really, you guys are really doing okay?" I suppose it gives Jon and I something to chat about later as we sip our coffee, not that we lack conversation material these days. I bet they think "this", I say. I bet you're right, Jon says. Or maybe they think "that", Jon says. Yup, that's another possibility, I say. Perhaps people think you're in denial, or you haven't dealt with problems, or you're stuffing things down, or you're hiding things. Perhaps in reality they think they know the problem and since the outcome isn't what they expect to see, they are confused. Perhaps they have miscalculated the problem entirely. Things don't add up...maybe their equation is wrong, or at least off the mark.

I can't help but get a little irritated by their doubt, and yet I realize that the questions are asked with sincerity and concern. I find comfort when I am reminded of those with whom we are most intimate who do know how we really are doing. Their happiness for us is satisfaction enough while we wait patiently for others to realize that we are doing damn fine. Finer than fine. In fact, we've never been better.
“Let nothing disturb thee; Let nothing dismay thee; All thing pass; God never changes. Patience attains All that it strives for. He who has God Finds he lacks nothing: God alone suffices.” ~ St. Teresa of Avila

No comments: