...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Monday, September 15, 2008

Forever or Fickle Friends

my cappuccino, jon's puzzle
"Next to hypocrisy in religion, there is nothing worse than hypocrisy in friendship." ~ Joseph Hall
Let me preface this by saying I have done this myself, I have had it done to me, and I'm seeing my friends have it done to them. This post in regards to the latter.

When a long-term close friendship is tested by conflict and a differing of opinions and perspectives, is it right to quit and cast the friend aside? Should we really give a rat's ass about the circumstances that bring about the conflict, or should we just focus on the person? Are we ever justified in allowing our love to grow cold or at least indifferent? Sometimes the answer is "yes" for our own well-being and safety, but I wager that most times the answer is "no".
“Compassion costs. It is easy enough to argue, criticize and condemn, but redemption is costly, and comfort draws from the deep. Brains can argue, but It takes heart to comfort.” ~ Samuel Chadwick
How quickly we abandon and mock those whom we once proclaimed to love.
"A despairing man should have the devotion of his friends, even though he forsakes the fear of the Almighty. But my brothers are as undependable as intermittent streams, as the streams that overflow when darkened by thawing ice and swollen with melting snow, but that cease to flow in the dry season, and in the heat vanish from their channels. ~ Job 6:14-17

2 comments:

Lauren Bekker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren Bekker said...

As your quote says, there is nothing worse than a fickle friendship- especially if the "friend" just uses you and leaves you feeling drained (or murderous). The best thing to do is to end the friendship, or just expect nothing from it. View my blog www.im-pressionism.blogspot.com for more on false friendships and the harm they cause