...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Friday, May 22, 2009

passion or escapism

"passionate potential"
by thephotozoo

I can be passionate about something, whether it's blogging, or knitting, or working out, or friends, or drawing, etc., and throw passion for "religion" in there for good measure. The thing is, often these "passions" in and of themselves are distractions and methods of avoidance or escapism. If and when I give my full attention to God's stuff and am truly passionate about Jesus, all these other areas of life are illuminated and enhanced. I end up with a deeper appreciation for art, food, clouds, fun, people, photography, exercise...get the picture?

There's a vast difference between being passionate about exercise for example, and passionately pursuing a fit physique because I want to physically reflect the spiritual strength that God has endowed me with over this past year or so. That takes it to a deeper level, a deeper sense of satisfaction, a deeper determination, and greater possibility of reaching my potential.

There's also a vast difference between being passionate about partying and having a good time, and passionately loving and reaching out to people when they don't deserve it, or when it's inconvenient to you personally. One bears fruit. The other simply doesn't.
"Ask all the people of the land and the priests, 'When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months for the past seventy years, was it really for me that you fasted? And when you were eating and drinking, were you not just feasting for yourselves?" ~ Zechariah 7:5-6 (NIV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once again... beautifully said. And again... speaks directly to my heart on many levels. thank you for this.