...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Monday, November 17, 2008

authenticity

au·then·tic

a: worthy of acceptance or belief as conforming to or based on fact b: conforming to an original so as to reproduce essential features c: made or done the same way as an original
Authenticity seems to have become a badge of honour, a character trait in and and of itself. Sometimes all authenticity means is genuineness. A genuinely loving person. A genuinely self-centered narcissistic asshole. See what I mean?

Authentic Christianity has become a catch-phrase. Google it and see. Authentic simply means "true". So an authentic Christian is a true Christian, the real thing.

I have an appreciation for authentic people because if you're a cynical and judgmental person and you don't hide it and you even go so far as to acknowledge those weaknesses, then I know what I'm dealing with and can relate to you keeping those character traits in mind so I'm less apt to become offended. A person doesn't have to be a follower of Christ to have this level of authenticity.

Authentic Christians on the other hand have been light to me in the darkness. They've spoken words of life when I was feeling death lurking all around me. They emulate the fruit of the Spirit. My appreciation for THIS kind of authenticity is beyond describing, mostly because it's rare and that makes it very precious and beautiful.

It's one thing to be real. It's another thing to be really loved.

2 comments:

onelittlemustardseed said...

The word "authentic" is the new buzz word describing a quality one hopes to achieve or at best, convince others that they have achieved.

However, as each year go by, I judge others not so much on what they say, but in how they live out what they say...

Heidi said...

My point is "authenticity" doesn't carry much value in and of itself. What does "authentic" really mean?? If it means being real, what gift is that to the world if you lack conviction, integrity, love, mercy, etc.

Maybe I'm missing something. And yet I see what you're saying because many people say that this and that is important to them, but their life and treatment of others displays the exact opposite. If that's the case, I'm not sure I know any authentic people.