...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Monday, November 10, 2008

me me me

I found some interesting quotes from a blogger on blogging and social networking. The comments she received show that many people were offended, which is understandable. Even so, one commenter calls the whole scene "ego masturbation".

I find her thoughts refreshing and honest, even though I enjoy my own random blogging. It can be very cathartic for example. Social networking sites on the other hand are a huge turn off for me, except of course my knitting one. Though I didn't used to, I now prefer having my personal life somewhat of a mystery, and I especially like being inaccessible to untrustworthy souls.

Here are my favourite quotes:
Whether we want to admit it or not, we all believe our lives are fascinating; that every website that’s captured our interest should hold equal appeal to those who know us; and that other people — whether we’ve met them in meat space or cyberspace — need to be informed of not only our latest thoughts as expressed in our blog entries, but even the minutia of our day as captured in 140 words or less on Twitter. And woe to our “friends” who don’t agree.

The web, which once existed as a place to which we turned primarily to acquire information about diverse topics, is now primarily a forum for us to put out information on the topic which fascinates us the most: ourselves.

Katherine Berry's entire article

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... i think my ego must be huge then. o dear. with my own blog i think i swing between wanting to make a point and wanting to know what others think. sometimes i find doing the blog a catharsis and sometimes a pain. i get the feeling a few people rely on it now... or is that ego? i like discussion, but sometimes end up with discussion i didn't mean to start. i didn't know a post on obama would start a discussion on abortion. i thought i'd made a positive cartoon and received some less than positive responses. the diversity of people, views, experiences and egos is sometimes bewildering... sometimes upsetting... but often a revelation.
i left a comment on the knitting blog. that cardigan is amazing. i'd love to see clare make one... she'd look great in it. but then she'd look great in a potato sack! :-)
keep up the good work, the creativity, the thinking. you're a good soul and appreciated from far away.

Heidi said...

hey jon, thanks for you comment on my knitting blog. the last 2 times i commented on your blog i kicked myself for not changing the link attached to my name to my personal blog but hopefully clare will be inspired by something. knitter girls rock!

i've gotten to the point where i get irritated by blogs where the people blather on and on and on, as if they know it all, or even half of it all, or a quarter of it all. i also dislike the ones where it smells like they think they've figured something out where most people haven't.

i guess we all, including me, have to constantly re-analyze our motivation. these days i seem to do it because i need to get something off my chest! it's therapeutic.

i like your blog. i like the comments. you are much appreciated too!!

Anonymous said...

'knitter girls' do indeed rock!
bless your heart heidi. :-)

Anonymous said...

hey hey hey! result! clare loves that cardy! she's gonna download the pattern and make it. i knew it'd be up her street. nice one heidi!