...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodnight 2008

Goodnight 2008. How how good you've been to me. Your brother 2007 brought a metaphorical storm that uprooted a half dead tree in our backyard that looked pretty and ornamental on the side facing out, but was half dead and spindley on the side facing in. This uprooting allowed more sunshine and light into our private garden. You helped my soul mate love and nurture me back to health. He was my best friend, my confidant, and the only one who understood. You opened our eyes to the years of famine we had both come to not only tolerate but embrace out of ignorance. We were equally ready to face our failures, and thus equally rewarded for it.

This summer, someone who hadn't seen me in a year looked at my face, cocked his head and said I looked refreshed, as if a burden had been taken off my shoulders. Oh yes 2008, they saw what you did! They saw that the weight I had carried around for many years and had resigned myself to had been lifted. I had no idea it could be read on my face.

2008, you even saved the best for last, because December has been dearest to us yet. I can tell you're opening another door. I can tell the best is yet to come. We're grateful, and our hearts are full.
Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

~ Alfred, Lord Tennyson

1 comment:

onelittlemustardseed said...

Happy New Year to you both and your two amazing kids!