...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

a different kind of church critic

"As a pastor I hear a lot of emergent leaders talk about what is wrong with the church. It comes across as someone who doesn't love the church. I'm a pastor first and foremost, and I'm trying to offer a solution or a model of what church should look like. I'm going back to scripture and seeing what the church was in its simplest form and trying to recreate that in my own church. I'm not coming up with anything new. I'm calling people to go back to the way it was. I'm not bashing the church. I'm loving it." ~ Francis Chan, author of Crazy Love
Here's an amazing evangelistic video with Francis Chan. My daughter's only word at the end was, "wow". I plan to watch more of his stuff at YouTube.

4 comments:

Lyn said...

Very Rob Bell like! I enjoyed this. I love the quote. That is what Jon and I want to do. Just NOT sure how we do any of that here now?

Maybe we can do something together with you and Jon and a group of others?

Lyn said...

Have you got his book Crazy love?

Heidi said...

Count us in! I'm sure if we truly desire change without falling into the abyss of focusing all our attention on criticism and thus accomplish nothing, God will direct us in how to go about the business of loving and shepherding people into Christlike communities. I have to believe that if we focus on the right things and not on the wrong things, the answers will blossom slowly but surely if we're willing to relentlessly pursue them! :o)

I for one am sick to death of the critical spirit that currently plagues the church. It's not helping anyone or anything.

Praying that God leads you and Jon to the answer of "how"!

Heidi said...

No I don't, but now I want it!