...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Friday, August 7, 2009

my secret life as an organic & DIY beauty advocate

random photo via google.com

After 16 much loved years of being a stay at home mom, I've taken up a part time job. Yup. I'm a working girl now. Sure I'd rather stay home and pursue my creative endeavors to generate an income, but a regular income is tres tres nice. I know Jon appreciates it immensely! Still, in my heart of hearts, I'd rather generate an income through creating because goodness knows I can come up with the ideas. Working part time allows me lots of free days to do that and once the kids are back in school, I can dedicate some time to that.

My new job is a fun one. I'm a "Cosmetician Trainee". That's what's on my name tag. Yes, I work as a drug store cosmetician, and I love it. It's been a fantastic way to transition back into the work force. I'd always wondered what I'd end up doing to help with the bills after the kids were old enough. And let's face it, that's what this is, a means to an end. But I feel blessed to be able to go to a job where I'm interested in what I'm doing. The perks of getting free unused testers for makeup I can't afford isn't too hard to take either. I also work for and with a fantastic group of people. That's more than half the battle won.

I immediately, albeit temporarily, got swept up into the world of department store brands (translation: the brands that offer hundred dollar miracle creams). Still, there's a huge side of me that is anti-chemical, anti-preservative, anti-carcinogenic, anti-let's-get-your-skin-dependent-on-this-by-weakening-the-skin's-metabolism-through-breaking-down-its-natural-responsiveness.

Thankfully natural and organic brands are slowly but surely making their way into your local drugstore. Ones like Dr. Hauschka and Alba Botanica. I'll most likely become the go-to girl for those looking for a more unpolluted, healing and restorative approach.

random photo via google.com

In our house, my pattern sale money is my mad money. Yay! Paypal plus Ebay are great bedfellows and I tracked down some fantastic stores on Feebay that sell organic carrier oils and essential oils. I plan on making my own facial oils and my own deep conditioning hair masks. I love DIY beauty! Not only do you get a superior product, you save yourself literally hundreds of dollars. Yes you have to become knowledgeable about the science of skin, you have to formulate, mix, experiment, and store properly, but as my good friend Wendy says, it's "sweat equity".

My mailbox is now awaiting the arrival of palmarosa oil (stimulates cell regeneration), frankincense oil (for dry skin, wrinkles), lavender (tones and balances skin, promotes healing), and a few other essential oils. I also have some near legendary rosehip seed oil on it's way. It's the only natural oil that contains natural Retinoic acid (Vitamin A acid). It's a "dry" oil and is easily and quickly absorbed by the skin. It encourages cell regeneration. Sign me up.
"What we apply to the skin is just as important - latest tests have discovered that chemical substances may be found in the urine within 30 minutes of application of the skin. It is important to nurture the skin and encourage harmony by adopting an holistic approach, that is by treating the skin as an integral part of the whole body." ~ Lorraine Sutton

I hope to phase high hazard products out of my family's lives (rate yours here: Environmental Working Group's "Skin Deep" Cosmetic Safety Database). This weekend we bought a large bottle of paraben-free "Yes to Carrots" Shampoo from where I work and so far I love it! It gets rave reviews at MakeupAlley.com. I admit I have some practically new Redken, Joico, and Infusium 23 hair care products that my frugal side says I need to use up before I totally convert. :o(

Side note: I've happily resorted to making my own Vitamin C Serum that I use every night. It's super cheap, and is well loved by many DIY'ers!

1 comment:

Hella said...

wow! look at you go!
where can i buy that carrot shampoo?
hope you have a lovely w/e!
love ya!
mom