...ancient words of new wisdom live, breathe
as i am born to become a living poem...

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

grrrrr

The Song of Deborah
by Donna Smallenberg

Yesterday the kids and I got into the truck to head out to school. I uncharacteristically flipped through some radio stations. Driving is usually my thinking and pondering time so I tend to like it quiet, plus it's wayyyy too early in the morning for unnecessary noise. We were picking up an American Christian station. A man and a woman were bragging on the station and how wonderful it was. The man said "yes, and the housewife can listen to it at home, and the business man at work". Well I flipped. I ranted to the kids how sexist that was, and my 15 year old son said it sounded like something out of the 50's. What about men who stay home to be full time dads, what about women who govern cities or countries?

This past Sunday in church while playing with the pages of my little bible I noticed the last chapter of Proverbs which describes a noble wife:
She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
Back in biblical days, women were in great positions of leadership, they were entrepreneurs. They did not have bake sales and little fund raisers when they wanted to contribute to society.

I don't know what else to say. All I know is this mindset makes me supremely cranky!

No comments: